USD. Free Shipping Worldwide!
The True Story Of The Pursuit And Destruction Of Nazi Germany's Greatest Battleship!
Once you've served in a battle later made into a motion picture, you want to be very sure that the depiction of the actions of yourself and your comrades in arms are respectful and accurate. Imagine then the pride that Esmond Knight felt when not only were the exploits of himself and his fellow shipmates of HMS Prince Of Wales celebrated in this film for their part in hunting down and destroying the German Battleship Bismarck, but that he himself was the actor cast to portray the Prince Of Wales' captain during that battle. E. R. Murrow also had much the same pride in making this picture, as he too was cast to portray his own part in the actual events depicted in this historical drama, reliving his broadcasts to the United States as CBS radio's London Correspondant during World War II. This film therefore had many standards to rise to meet, and with the able assistance of these actors along with some of cinema's greatest stars, as well as the excellent contributions made by the greatest special effects artists of the day, the legendary Lydecker brothers, this especially realistic war at sea drama met those standards well, both from a historical and cinematic perspective. (1960, Black & White, Widescreen, 1:37).
Nominated, Golden Laurel, Top Action Drama 1960 (4th Place)
Nominated, Directors Guild Of America Award, Outstanding Directorial Achievement In Motion Pictures 1961
C.S. Forester (Book)
Edmund H. North (Story & Screenplay)
Kenneth More...Captain Shepard
Dana Wynter...Anne Davis
Carl Möhner...Captain Lindemann (as Carl Mohner)
Laurence Naismith...First Sea Lord
Karel Stepanek...Admiral Lutjens
Edward R. Murrow...Himself
Michael Hordern...Commander-in-Chief - 'King George V'
Maurice Denham...Commander Richards
Michael Goodliffe...Captain Banister
Esmond Knight...Captain - 'Prince of Wales'
Jack Watling...Signals Officer
Jack Gwillim...Captain - 'King George V' (as Jack Gwillam)
Mark Dignam...Captain - 'Ark Royal'
Ernest Clark...Captain - 'Suffolk'
John Horsley...Captain - 'Sheffield'
Customers Who Purchase This Item Will Also Enjoy:
* The Pursuit Of The Graf Spee aka The Battle Of The River Plate WWII Naval Warfare DVD
* Battleship Potemkin Sergei Eisenstein's Soviet Communist Propaganda DVD
* Kamikaze Documentaries World War II Pacific Air War DVD
* William L. Shirer - World War II Radio News Broadcasts MP3 CD
* CBS WWII Radio Broadcasts - World News Today MP3 CD
* Battleline Complete World War II Documentary TV Series 10 DVD Set
* Triumph Of The Will Triumph Des Willens Leni Riefenstahl Adolf Hitler
* Complete World War II Films 16 DVD Set
* Complete World War II Aviation Films Collectors DVD Set
* Universal Newsreels: The World War II Films 10 DVD Set