USD. Free Shipping Worldwide!
E. G. Marshall Hosts This Complete 3 Part TV Documentary Series On The Fighting History Of The United States Marine Corps From Its Beginnings Through The Major And Minor Conflicts Of The 19th And 20th Centuries, The Crucial Pacific Island Battles Of World War II And The Critical Battles Of The Korean War And The Vietnam War (Color, 1987, Three 45 Minute Episodes.) PLUS Bonus Title: FLYING MARINES: A HISTORY OF MARINE AVIATION Hosted By Medal Of Honor Recipient Marine Ace Joe Foss (Color, 1989, 23 Minutes) -- All Presented In The Highest DVD Quality MPG Video Format Of 9.1 MBPS In An Archival Quality 2 Disc All Regions Format DVD Set, MP4 Video Download Or USB Flash Drive! #USMarines #UnitedStatesMarinesCorps #AmericanRevolution #AmericanRevolutionaryWar #WarOf1812 #MexicanAmericanWar #AmericanCivilWar #SpanishAmericanWar #NavalHistory #NavalWarfare #NavalAir #WorldWarI #WWI #WW1 #WorldWarII #WWII #WW2 #KoreanWar #KoreanConflict #VietnamWar #SecondIndochinaWar #DVD #VideoDownload #MP4 #USBFlashDrive
* 4/10/19: Updated With "FLYING MARINES: A HISTORY OF MARINE AVIATION Hosted By Medal Of Honor Recipient Marine Ace Joe Foss!
Epi. 1: Years Of Tria
Ep. 2: Peleliu To Inchon
Epi. 3: Chosin To Khe Sanh
Flying Marines: A History Of Marine Aviation
November 10, 1775, during the American Revolutionary War, is marked as The United States Marine Corps Birthday. An annual celebration of the founding of the United States Marine Corps, it is celebrated with the traditional United States Marine Corps Birthday Ball and cake-cutting ceremony, in observance of the founding of the U.S. Marine Corps. The United States Marine Corps was born when the Second Continental Congress commissioned by its own decree the innkeeper and former Quaker Samuel Nicholas to raise two battalions of Continental Marines at Nicholas' Tun Tavern, a colonial inn in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Samuel Nicholas (1744 - August 27, 1790) was the first officer commissioned in the United States Continental Marines, and by tradition is considered to be the first Commandant of the Marine Corps. The tavernís manager, Robert Mullan, was the "chief Marine Recruiter", and marks the Tun Tavern as the location where the United States Marines held their first recruitment drive. The decree ordered "That two battalions of Marines be raised consisting of one Colonel, two lieutenant-colonels, two majors and other officers, as usual in other regiments; that they consist of an equal number of privates as with other battalions, that particular care be taken that no persons be appointed to offices, or enlisted into said battalions, but such as are good seamen, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve for and during the present war with Great Britain and the Colonies; unless dismissed by Congress; that they be distinguished by the names of the First and Second Battalions of Marines." The first Continental Marine company was composed of one hundred Rhode Islanders commanded by Captain Nicholas. The earliest Marines were deployed aboard Continental Congress Navy vessels as sharpshooters because they were typically recruited as outstanding marksmen. Originally part of the United States Navy, the United States Marine Corps became a separate unit on July 11, 1789. Prior to 1921, Marines celebrated the recreation of the Corps on July 11 with little pomp or pageantry. On October 21, 1921, Major Edwin North McClellan, in charge of the Corps's fledgling historical section, sent a memorandum to Commandant John A. Lejeune, suggesting the Marinesí original birthday of November 10 be declared a Marine Corps holiday to be celebrated throughout the Corps. Lejeune so ordered in Marine Corps Order 47, which read in part "The following will be read to the command on the 10th of November, 1921, and hereafter on the 10th of November of every year. Should the order not be received by the 10th of November, 1921, it will be read upon receipt. On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of Continental Congress. Since that date many thousand men have borne the name "Marine". In memory of them it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the birthday of our corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history." The first formal United States Marine Corps Birthday Ball was celebrated in 1925, though no records exist that indicate the proceedings of that event. Birthday celebrations would take varied forms, most included dances, though some accounts include mock battles, musical performances, pageants, and sporting events. The celebrations were formalized and standardized by Commandant Lemuel C. Shepherd, Jr. in 1952, outlining the cake cutting ceremony, which would enter the Marine Drill Manual in 1956. By tradition, the first slice of cake is given to the oldest Marine present, who in turn hands it off to the youngest Marine present, symbolizing the old and experienced Marines passing their knowledge to the new generation of Marines. The celebration also includes a reading of Marine Corps Order 47, republished every year, as well as a message from the current Commandant, and often includes a banquet and dancing if possible. In many cases, the birthday celebration will also include a pageant of current and historical Marine Corps uniforms, as a reminder of the history of the Corps. Another modern tradition includes a unit run on the 10th. Marines are reputed to celebrate the birthday, regardless of where they may be in the world, even in austere environments or combat. In a more somber tradition, Samuel Nicholas's grave in the Arch Street Friends Meeting graveyard in Philadelphia is marked with a wreath at dawn by a group of Marines annually on November 10 to celebrate his role in the founding of the Corps. Tun Tavern was a tavern and brewery in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, which was a founding or early meeting place for a number of notable groups. It is traditionally regarded as the site where what became the United States Marine Corps held its first recruitment drive during the American Revolution. It is also regarded as one of the "birthplaces of Masonic teachings in America". Although tradition places the U.S. Marine Corps' first recruiting post at Tun Tavern, the historian Edwin Simmons surmises that it was more likely the Conestoga Waggon [sic], a tavern owned by the Nicholas family. Each year on November 10, U.S. Marines worldwide toast the memory of the Tun Taven as the officially-acknowledged birthplace of their service branch. In homage to the likely 1775 Tun Tavern menu, the U.S. Marine Corps National Museum located in Quantico, Virginia, contains a Tun Tavern-themed restaurant, whose lunch menu features beer and other fermented (alcoholic) beverages, peanut soup and bread pudding, the non-alcoholic recipe of which remains a traditional staple among some U.S. Marine food services to this day. The tavern was erected in 1686 at the intersection of King (later called Water) Street and Tun Alley by settler Joshua Carpenter, brother of Samuel Carpenter, a Quaker merchant who made a fortune trading in Barbados. Joshua Carpenter built the Tun on the caraway that led to Carpenter's Wharf. Tun Tavern was named for the Old English word "tun", meaning a barrel or keg of beer. In the 1740s, a restaurant appellation, "Peggy Mullan's Red Hot Beef Steak Club" was added to the name of the tavern. Tun Tavern hosted the first meetings of a number of organizations. In 1720, the first meetings of the St. George's Society (a charitable organization founded to assist needy Englishmen arriving in the new colony - predecessor of today's Sons of the Society of St. George) were held there. In 1732, the tavern hosted the first meetings of St. John's Lodge No. 1 of the Grand Lodge Of Pennsylvania Masonic Temple. The Masonic Temple of Philadelphia recognizes Tun Tavern as the birthplace of Masonic teachings in America. In 1747, Tun Tavern became the founding place of the St. Andrew's Society, which like the St. George's Society, helped newly arrived Scottish. Tun Tavern was a significant meeting place for other groups and individuals. In 1756, Benjamin Franklin used the inn as a recruitment gathering point for the Pennsylvania militia as it prepared to fight Native American uprisings. The tavern later hosted a meeting of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and the Continental Congress. In October 1775 a seven man Naval Committee including John Adams appointed by Congress crafted articles of war to build America's first naval fleet. In 1781, near the end of the American Revolution, Tun Tavern burned down. Its former structure stood at a location now occupied by Interstate 95, where it passes Penn's Landing. Tun Alley once existed between Walnut and Chestnut Streets east of Front Street. A commemorative marker on the east side of Front Street indicates the site, across from Sansom Walk. It is listed on Google Maps as located at 125-171 S Front St, Philadelphia, PA 19106.